Monday, October 4, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences

Parent Teacher Conferences are always interesting to have. We have two traditional conferences where all the teachers are in the gym and parents stand in line to speak to us and we also have two student led conferences each year. When you meet parents for the first time it frequently elicits an "ah ha" moment. Suddenly the child is explained. My first year teaching I was terrified of conferences but they ended up just fine. One year I had a mother come to see me who was drunk and had forgotten her teeth. It was all I could do to keep it together and not bust out laughing at her behavior. Then there are the parents that you want to talk to the most but don't come. Last year we began our adventure into student led conferences. Each student creates a portfolio with an artifact (assignment or test) from each class with a reflection about how they are doing in the class and how they feel about it. Then parents come and sit down with their child and talk about how school is going. We have had mixed feelings from parents on this. Some parents absolutely love it because they don't have to wait in line forever and their child is responsible for their own learning. Other parents completely hate it because they feel like they are forced to have a conversation with their child and the school doesn't think they do that at home. We had some parents last year who organized a boycott against the student led conferences! Students don't like it because it is more work and they have to accept responsibility fo something.

5 comments:

  1. Wow a boycott against student led conferences. I had never heard of something like that. It is concerning when parents put up such a fight against something so trite. I really wonder if those parents don't have some serious issues dealing with personal responsibility, and holding their children accountable for their work.
    Parents need to empower their children and encourage them to develop leadership skills. Student led conferences give students the perfect opportunity to take ownership of their own education. It's too bad that some people don't see the value of them.
    In our school we are just starting to prepare for the student led conference, and no doubt many of the parents are not going to come, but at least it provides a specific way students can share different projects with their parents. Students put together a folder, and prepare write down three student goals: an organizational goal, academic goal, and behavioral goal. They must also collect artifacts from each class and place them within the folder.
    It's funny because in the past I have seen some parents who dislike the student led conferences, mainly because they feel they can do this at home, but a lot of times it never will happen at home. Our school provides time for parents to also meet with the teachers at least 40 minute blocks in between the student led portion of the conference. I don't see why some parents have such a problem with the program. If they don't want to sit and review the fold with their child there they don't have to, and they can still visit with the child's teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the student lead parent conferences. I know it is more work for the student who is the ones who should be working. As a parent, I enjoyed the time I got to sit with my student and talk about what is happening in classes. It was a learning experience for my wife and I. We really enjoyed that our student had to create all the discussion and compile the work that he was most proud of. The boycott probably occurred because some parents are afraid of change. Personally I loe the fact that I don't have to wait in line to see 7 teachers and discuss my students progress. If I have any real concerns I would not bring it up in a gym with parents aurrounding us. I would want to do it in a more private situation. I have never had a teacher or a parent refuse to meet with me in a small setting if it involved their student. I am taking both the parent and the teacher role. But most teachers and parents are willing to do what they can to help their own children.
    As a teacher the most frustrating part of parent conference is you never have the parents you really want to see anyway. To get to these parents you will need to set up an appointment or just talk to them on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of student-led conferences. I think it gives meaning and purpose to parent/teacher conferences. I would wager that as time goes by, parents will become more receptive to student-led conferences. I'd like to see something like it at our school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,

    Wow! Student-led conferences seem like such a novel idea and so much more insightful than the typical "parent-stand-in-line-to-talk-to-the-teacher" conferences we're so used to! I think this sounds like a very productive way for students to reflect on their own learning and it also seems like a great way to teach better communication skills to the student as well. When they are more actively part of the learning process, including the analysis of their learning experiences, I think they take more ownership in their education and it means more. I think that also means they try harder and retain the information better also.

    I wonder if I could do this on my own, even if my whole school doesn't participate in this type of parent-teacher conference format...there's a great idea! Thanks Mary!

    Tara Hall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,

    I think your school has something going that could be worth investigating. I have gone through the traditional parent teacher confereces my entire career and it seems they are becoming less and less effective. There have been several occasions I have missed parent teacher conferences, and to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in my student performances. I think this does require the parent to take more responsibility, and some are not willing to do that.

    ReplyDelete