Monday, November 22, 2010

No Homework?

I teach junior high. At this secondary level I expect my students to receive and complete homework over the weekend. Especially when I teach advanced classes that cannot allow us to not have an assignment one day out of 5. Now, I am not an evil person and I have rarely given homework over Thanksgiving or Christmas breaks, but I have given it over spring break and nearly every weekend whether it is a long weekend or not. Lately I have been getting a lot of complaints. Sadly they are not only coming from students but from parents as well. It seems that the parents think their child needs a break from homework over the weekend and it a time to spend with family. I have no problem with that, what I struggle with is the idea that parents are complaining becuase their child is beginning homeowork at 10 p.m. on Sunday evening. This not a problem with the homework but with the student. Wouldn't it be nice for any 8th or 9th grader to get to 10 p.m. on Sunday and realize that they can go to bed without worry because the homework was done on Friday afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. I don't feel for the students as much as I do for you! That is a lot of grading that you must keep up on. I couldn't do it. Math really has become a tough subject for most students...I assume because of the state testing that you prepare them for. I can understand why parents and students would not like doing homework over the weekend, but with math it does seem like it must be done daily in order for them to master the content. I feel for you, it is never fun to do what you think is best for the learning of the students and have resistance the whole way. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete