Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How to Succeed in School

The majority of my students are 9th graders and so when they enter my class they are also entering high school. On the first day of school I give them four simple keys on how to do well in high school:

#1: Come to class!
#2: Listen!
#3: Do what the teachers asks!
#4: Ask questions!

They always laugh becuase my steps are so funny and seemingly ridiculous things that everyone should know, however, it seems that all students and their parents do not know these simple things. You must be in class to get the information. If you listen in class you will cut your study time in half. If you do what your teachers ask you to do when they ask you to do it you will not get behind and your grade will stay high. If you get stuck there is always someone willing to help. It sounds so simple but it is amazing that these four simple things are the things that can make or break a grade and a learning experience.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot that you teach at Mt. Nebo Jr. That's one of the nice things about blogs, students can get to know a bit about us outside of the classroom. I'm not sure I want to put too much about my personal life, but students always love to know what you do when you're not at school. Although most of the time they are shocked to find out that I leave the school

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of your blog! I also love how you keep it simple with what your students need to do to be successful! It is so simple yet students tend to try and make it more difficlt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great simple rules for your 9th graders to follow! It's true that they should already know and be doing those things but they don't know. We all need reminders from time to time on seemingly simple things. I also agree that following these simple rules can either make or break a school experience. I appreciate your reminders and will remind my ninth graders of the same things! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete